Thursday, January 23, 2014

The gas has it.

I believe I've said this before, and not much has changed since I did.
The only thing that has is the continued support for the idea as far as I am concerned.
The idea I'm talking about?
That change is coming soon. A new creative boom that will change the way in which we function in a global society. Not unlike Renaissance.
And in many ways, it's already happening. 

This article describes it well- Art as Research.

"It is clear that pressing global challenges, such as economic inequality, migration, climate change, aging societies and food security, present problems too difficult for any one discipline to solve. It will take teams of thinkers working across disciplines. And, given the interconnectivity and global scale of these issues, the solutions will have to look and feel completely new. Artists, with their preference for unconventional approaches and unique forms of representation, are adept at this type of daring and creative problem solving. Increasingly welcomed into these conversations, they can help move consciousness forward, as they always have."

This type of inquiry is what we have been taught to follow. Intuitive practices. Trial and error. Searching and seeking answers in unexpected ways.

For example:

I have a group of boys that are notoriously rambunctious. At least in my sessions. They talk and talk and talk and they love sarcasm and sharp remarks. Don't get me wrong, I love it too! But there comes a time when in interferes with our overall goal, which is to explore expressing ourselves using nonverbal means- art.
So one day I talk to my supervisor about it and she suggests doing a 180 and surprising them with whoopie cushions- almost to force them to interact nonverbally.
It worked brilliantly.
They loved it.
Not to mention I surprised the heck out of them by "letting one rip" before they knew what we were doing.
The looks on their faces were priceless!
Quote, "Are you for real? Did that just happen?"

ANYWAY- From them playing around with whoopie cushions (and kazoos) I was able to glean some really great information about the way these kids function in the world- whether it refers to their interactions with others (feeding off of competition) or themselves (excelling at one or two coping mechanisms).

The overall message is clear.
If you seek an answer, you can find it.
Especially if you are willing to look in unexpected places.

Like the space between a couch cushion and some pants.
Let the research continue.

1 comment: