Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The yoga say WHAT?!

As a gift to myself I have begun to attend yoga classes again.
This is not the first time I began yoga during this time of year and it may be because during these months it can be more difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Winter has a profound effect on many people, and maybe just that little bit of mindful breathing and positive calming can make all the difference.

This image depicts a tree pose in yoga.
Its therapeutic application may help with sciatica- which is a collection of symptoms involving the compression/irritation of the sciatic nerve in the lower back.
According to WebMD specific symptoms include:
  • Pain in the rear or leg that is worse when sitting
  • Burning or tingling down the leg
  • Weakness, numbness, or difficulty moving the leg or foot
  • A constant pain on one side of the rear
  • A shooting pain that makes it difficult to stand up
Now... with this being said, I am not claiming to have sciatica. What I will say is that I have been experiencing an increased amount of lower back pain for many months and also experience tingling sensations down my legs and others areas more frequently.

Since performing yoga more frequently, I've felt some of that pain decrease.
The tree pose in particular seemed to be the most comfortable although it requires much concentration and balance to perform.

Also, the more I attend these classes the more I learn that as a child I would often contort my body into these positions for fun, the tree pose being one of them.
The shoulder stand, another.
So in some ways it feels like I am taking a step back into the carefree playfulness of my younger years.

Now, yoga may not be for everyone.
Sometimes I even find myself questioning "They want me to do WHAT?"
But that's also very normal.
We don't live in a society that typically understands or values these concepts of body and mind.
That's what exploration is all about though...
...Finding what works for you.

And so... apparently both of these positions I have spoken about have been incorporated into the regime of the ever elusive Boba Fett.

I will be mastering all of these...to become an assassin of back pain and the stress of life.

OH- you were wondering what the whole gang would look like doing yoga poses?!?
Well say no more, here you are my friends... Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment