Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Penny for Thoughts

"Pennies are useless."

This kid and I have a history of going back and forth. He thinks he's the biggest waste of space and people usually try one of two things when they hear him say this...
1) No you're not! Why do you say that?
2) Okay fine, you ARE worthless! Now stop saying it!

Neither of those responses works out, it's the oldest catch 22 in the book when it comes to self-worth.
But never the less people get caught up in it, myself included.

So this time, it can't hurt to try something different.

This particular kid loves symbolism almost as much as I do- despite the fact that he continually lies straight to my face about it.
So why not set up a symbolic project that serves multiple purposes, the least of which providing a concrete example of how powerful perspective is and how deeply metaphor can hit home.

"Pennies are worthless."
When I hear him say that I hear the record player in his head repeat the same line. "I'm ordinary. I'm useless. I have no worth." And he'll flat out tell you this is exactly how he views himself as well. It's not a secret. And both responses that I listed above provide him with the same fuel to continue viewing himself as worthless.

So the intended plan is to present him with a penny.
Regular old penny.
One that I found in my change staff.
Present him with this penny and let him verify that this particular penny is in fact "virtually useless" "worthless" or of little value.
Encourage him to identify any markings that might distinguish it from others (scrapes, etc) so he can distinguish this particular penny from another in photographs.

The next step is to present the rules for the project.
I will take at least one photograph of the penny each week in a unique place.
When I see the client I will show him the photograph and transfer the penny to him.
It will then be his turn to find a scene or unique place to put the penny so that he can take an image of it as well.
So on and so forth.
In essence, the penny will be going on a journey as it is passed back and forth and we will be able to document this in photographs.
My goal for this project is to encourage him to see the value of the penny not in its worth based on what others dictate... but on what he dictates and what we dictate it to be together, within the context of the relationship (the passing back and forth).  
Because in the end, a person's value and worth are not determined by others- our value is determined by ourselves.

Personally, I'm still on the journey of understanding this for myself.
However, I think this project may help me more than him.
Regardless of whether I'm right (it helps me more) or wrong... it's the journey that counts.

LOLOLOL Counts...






I love it when my jokes make cents!!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment