Monday, September 23, 2013

One step to another

Ever since I was a teenager, I had an idea of what kind of job I would find fulfilling in life.
I just never thought anyone would actually pay me to do it.

Well, here I am. Doing what I love for a living.
Helping others change their lives.

Ever since I entered into my master's program I felt like a change was coming on the horizon.
I felt like the world (the United States and its education system) had suppressed the creative capacities of their students so much that the only way out was up.
After all, when something is put under pressure for so long- the inevitable end is an explosion.

And that's what I see, day in and day out.
I hear and read and watch story after story of such massive and unsustainable inequality that it sickens me.
It saddens me, angers me, hurts me.

This image is from a TV show I've been watching recently.
It's an old British comedy about the political system and the plot of many of the shows are the obstruction of meaningful, common sense ideas for common citizens by an ancient system. 

I always thought of myself as politically neutral growing up.
I reserved my thoughts for myself (if I even had any on any one particular subject) out of fear that I might not be accepted by those around me if I spoke.
I still have fear, only now the fear is of the outcome if I remain silent.

Silence is so easy.
Indifference is easy.
The process of changing the problems and finding solutions is difficult.
Why would you want to do that?
That only makes a person miserably uncomfortable.

Well the dissonance isn't going away.
And it won't go away unless I do something about it.
Ignoring it is no longer an option.

I think I've decided to take my preparation into action.

No comments:

Post a Comment